Bookmarks

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Potato Leek Soup

I started with a basic recipe (link below) and made some key modifications for this creamy potato leek soup.  Not to say that my modifications were particularly healthy (I think at one point I actually poured some bacon grease in the pot of soup) but they sure were delicious. :)

Potato Leek Soup


Ingredients

8 potatoes, peeled and cubed (note: if using red potatoes or similar, feel free to leave the skins on.  I used a mix of russett and reds)
4 cups chicken broth
1 lb bacon (note: surprisingly I didn't use a full lb. and I still had plenty of bacon awesome-ness)
3 leeks, sliced
1 cup heavy cream (note: I noticed mid-cooking that I only had regular cream, so I added a couple tbsp of butter)

Other optional ingredients:

Garlic (minced)
Shallot (sliced)
Spices, such as paprika, bay leaves, salt and pepper, etc.

Directions


In a large saucepan or stockpot, bring potatoes and chicken broth to a boil.  (Optional: add spices; remove bay leaves before serving.) Cook until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons of grease and set aside. Saute the leeks in the frying pan with the reserved bacon grease 8 to 10 minutes. (Optional: if adding minced garlic and shallot, saute garlic first for about 1 min until fragrant, then add leeks and shallots).

When the potatoes are tender, stir in the fried leeks, heavy cream and bacon. Stir to blend and remove from heat. Serve hot.



Original link:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-potato-leek-soup-ii/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment